GOOD NEWS, NEW OPENINGS IN
NOOTKA SOUND AND ESPERANZA INLET, AREA 25
Approved as of March 24, 2012 by DFO:
- opening the lower portion of Tahsis Inlet around Bodega Island and Strange Island for Chinook Salmon.
- opening an outer portion of Hanna Channel and the lower portion of Zucarte Channel for Chinook Salmon.
- Coho – removal of a portion of the hatchery only retention area and extending the regulations from San Gertrudis Cove to Discovery Point.
- Still Under Review – are additional openings for Hecate Channel and Espinosa Inlet.
- At present there are many areas that are salmon non retention areas that will be converted to full Fin Fish closures to further protect wild salmon stock of concern.
- Standby for formal DFO Management Action Notices. It looks good for the 2012 season.
INTERESTING SALMON FACTS FOR THE 2012 SEASON
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife Report February 28, 2010:
- Strong returns of Columbia River Chinook Salmon (over 650,000) and good numbers of coastal Coho are projected.
What does this mean to us on the West Coast of Vancouver Island – especially here in Esperanza and Nootka?
- Most of our early June and July Chinook and Coho are American fish
- This means another GREAT early salmon fishery for our area catching!
FISHERY NOTICE FN0128 – RECREATIONAL MANGEMENT ACTION
Yes regulations are being tightened up to protect Fraser River Chinook.
A slot linit is in effect for the Victoria area between Cadboro Point to Sheringham from March 1 to June 15, 2012. Daily limit is 2 per day size limit of 45cm – 67cm or 67cm and over for hatchery marked fish.
How does this effect us? IT DOES NOT AT ALL for fishing in areas 25, 26, 27, 125, 125, 127 – our back yard – Esperanza and Nootka.
ALL INDICATIONS ARE LOOKING VERY GOOD
FOR 2012 SALMON FISHING!
REMEMBER PRAWN SEASON OPENS ON APRIL 1!